Admission & Audition
Audition and Selection Requirements
The School of Drama looks for potential and enthusiasm for theatre. In addition, applicants should be able to speak fluent Cantonese and to read Chinese. Having satisfied the general entry requirements, applicants will be invited to attend a series of auditions and interviews, the results of which will determine the applicants' suitability for admission.
Owing to the large number of applicants, it is not possible for the Academy to provide written assessments or to enter into any correspondence with unsuccessful applicants. Applicants shall note the School will not return submitted material such as portfolios or DVDs.
Selection is based upon review of school records, HKDSE results, previous experience in the performing arts, references, and a written statement of personal goals. Applicants who pass the first screening will be invited to attend one or more auditions.
- Group warm-up and expressive movement exercise
- One spoken monologue chosen by the candidate
- An unaccompanied song of the candidate's choice
- Critical writing on the spot (directing major applicants only)
- One spoken monologue chosen by the School
- A one-minute special talent performance chosen by the candidate (e.g. dance, acrobatics, song, etc.)
- Group movement-based improvisation
- Creative writing based upon a visual stimulus assigned on the spot (directing major applicants only)
- Final audition piece chosen by the School
- Discussion of the applicant's expectations, commitment to Drama studies and career pathway.
Non-local applicants who are unable to attend the preliminary audition at the Academy may submit a recent DVD with a statement that it is the applicant's own performance. The contents of the DVD must follow the above preliminary requirements except that all the pieces may be selected by the applicant.
Selected applicants will be invited to attend a second audition at the Academy. The applicants are responsible for their own travel permits and expenditure. If the applicant cannot come to the second audition at the Academy, his/her application will not be given further consideration.