LECTURERS (SCREEN PRODUCTION AND RESEARCH CENTRE)
In a city renowned for its international outlook and connections, the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts plays a unique and influential role in developing future generations of performing artists that include performers, practitioners, designers and technicians. The Academy's six Schools: Chinese Opera, Dance, Drama, Film & Television, Music, and Theatre & Entertainment Arts create a vibrant centre of practice, production, teaching and practice-as-research. Its outstanding reputation is reinforced by the quality of its performers and its partnerships with other centres of excellence locally, regionally and internationally. With international residencies, visiting artists and alumni, which include some of the most respected professionals in their disciplines, the Academy is committed to the training of future world-class performers and practitioners.
The School of Film and Television offers major studies in Cinematography, Directing, Editing, Sound, Screenwriting and Production Administration. It is equipped to a high level with high definition (HD) video cameras, digital sound recording and digital post-production facilities for picture and sound editing, visual effects design and colour correction.
With an aim to enhance the range of current screen production options and also look to expand screen production for the performing arts by exploring practical and aesthetic innovations for designing and delivering performing arts practice to twenty-first century audiences, the School has established the Screen Production and Research Centre (SPARC) to provide training for students in screen disciplines and interdisciplinary opportunities for students from all disciplines at the Academy. Additionally, the SPARC seeks to foster support for research and experimentation in screen production and presentation in conjunction with postgraduate students and in partnership with the creative industries.
The SPARC is looking for Lecturers in three different specialisations:
(1) Visual Screen Art Production and Design Ref: L(VSAPD)
(2) Television and Immersive Screen Production Ref: L(TISP)
(3) Production Management, Interdisciplinary Projects and Partnerships Ref: L(PMIPP)
The postholders are responsible to propose, design, develop and teach courses in each of his/her specialisation; participate in an operational capacity and supervise production practice in relevant interdisciplinary projects for the school; and establish close connections with visual and screen art production and design industry practitioners and events in Hong Kong, China and abroad.
Applicants should have:
(a) A degree in a relevant discipline, or professional training to an equivalent level; and MFA or relevant Master’s degree is an advantage or a plan to undertake postgraduate studies.
(b) Significant professional experience in relevant specialisation.
(c) Relevant teaching experience, preferably at tertiary level.
(d) The ability to lead and manage interdisciplinary projects/screen productions.
(e) Interest in research in performing arts and screen practice.
(f) Good organisational and problem solving skills and experience managing tight deadlines.
(g) An excellent network of local and international screen and visual arts contacts.
(h) An excellent command of spoken and written English and Chinese.
(i) The drive to investigate, research and apply emerging and innovative screen technologies in teaching and production practice.
Applicants for Visual Screen Art Production and Design specialisation should have professional knowledge and experience in :
- Digital pre-visualisation design of proposed scenes for screen production, 2D and/or 3D Animation (character and backgrounds), Visual design and manipulation of colour space for digital screen production.
- Digital design, creation and rendering of visual elements for screen production.
- Digital image manipulation of still photography and video, and graphic design.
- Motion Capture and Extended Reality (xR) production.
Applicants for Television and Immersive Screen Production specialisation should have professional knowledge and experience in :
- Television production in a multi-cam studio and multi-cam production in various locations and environments.
- Virtual, Augmented, Mixed and Extended realities (xR).
- Camera and Lighting for the Screen, Vision Switching, plus Sound recording and Digital editing and post-production.
Applicants for Production Management, Interdisciplinary Projects and Partnerships specialisation should have professional knowledge and expereince in several of the following areas :
- Communications, Journalism, Project pitching, Production and Project Management, Social Media Marketing, Audience Identification, Narrative and Non-narrative Screen Project Development, Screen Production and Project Research, Immersive and Interdisciplinary Project Management, Screen Festival and Competition Management.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Appointment will be on a two-year contract with the possibility of renewal, subject to mutual agreement. A gratuity payment equal up to 15% of basic salary earned during the contract period will be payable upon satisfactory completion of contract. Fringe benefits include leave, medical, and dental benefits. Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Subject to negotiation, expected commencement date will be early September 2021.
Interested parties should forward their applications with detailed curriculum vitae to:
The Human Resources Office
The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
No.1 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closing date for application is 31 July 2021. For further details about the Academy, please visit its website at www.hkapa.edu. Please quote the reference code on the application.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment-related purposes.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment-related purposes only.